Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stomach Bug

Emmy was hit with a YUCKY stomach bug a few weeks ago. It was literally the most pitiful I have ever seen her in her short life. I went to get her up one morning and was hit with that most awful stench that is toddler vomit. It really is the worst.smelling.stuff.ever. Poor baby had been asleep in puke. I felt like an awful mother, but apparently that's just what toddlers do (throw up in their sleep and just go back to sleep). Well, mine does this at least.

I immediately scooped her up, called for her Daddy (who mind you has a severe blood clot in his leg at the time and is dealing with that), we put her in the bath and tried our best to scrub toddler vom off of her and keep her calm. She wasn't thrilled to be thrust into the tub first thing in the morning.

I knew she was REALLY sick when I got her out of the tub, wrapped her up in a towel, and she just layed on me in my bed. She very rarely, if ever, sits still, she isn't the cuddliest child. I would be lying if I said I didn't love that moment, even though she did feel so bad.

We continued the day and she acted semi-okay, I googled and asked friends what to do regarding the stomach virus and I tried to get her to rest and relax. She puked again, all over me.the couch.the floor.herself. I tried to clean it up quickly, as the dog began to lick it up off the floor. I know, sick.

She would go a day or so without puking and then it'd be back again. I put her to bed one night and she was okay and then I went to check on her before going to bed myself and there she was, asleep in PILES of puke again. I couldn't just leave her there to sleep, so once again, she was thrust into the tub and then we cuddled outside on the porch in a rocking chair. Again, I'd be lying if I said I didn't love that moment as well.

When all was said and done, we survived the stomach flu somehow. Emmy would not drink juice, pedialyte, or even eat the Pedialyte pops. I ended up getting her electrolyte infused water and when times got rough we actually syringed Pedialyte into her.

I know there will be many more stomach bugs in Emmy's life and I hope I am always a source of comfort for her when she is sick. One of the biggest compliments I've received from Rob since becoming a Mom was telling me how amazing it was for him to watch me take care of her when she was sick and how I was such a good Mommy.

These pictures were taking on her 18 month "birthday" while she was sick... (10-26-12)







No comments:

Post a Comment