Thursday, May 24, 2012

BARF!

Literally. Barf... and lots of it. That's what Emmy did one night last week. Emmy has never been sick in her one year of life besides a little cold. She used to spit up all.the.time when she was a little baby, but since she was about 9 or 10 months, that stopped.

One night I was getting her supper ready and all of a sudden I heard her crying a pained cry. I went in the dining room and there was a little bit of throw up on the floor. It wasn't too much, so I thought she just had some indigestion or something. I cleaned it up and she kept on trucking.

She was fine the rest of the evening and when we put her to bed. She had gotten a little bit of throw up on her clothes from earlier that day and I had just thrown them in her laundry basket, so I decided to go in her room before Rob and I went to sleep and grab those clothes... that's when it hit me. I walked in her room and was almost literally knocked down by the worst smell I've ever smelled. I thought to myself "Those clothes really do smell!" I looked at Emmy and noticed she had some white stuff on her sleep sack. "Oh no, I thought!" I thought that she had just thrown up a little on her sleep sack, but she was sleeping so soundly, that I contemplated not waking her up.... then I saw it... the entire other end of her crib was COVERED in barf. She had thrown up and then just crawled to the other end of her crib and gone back to sleep. I felt so horrible. I mean, I almost decided to just leave her in there. What kind of mother am I?

I went to get Rob and he almost vomitted when he came in her room. We knew she was going to be ticked off at us waking her up, but we had to get her out of her clothes and clean up her crib. When Rob unzipped her, we saw that the entire back of her head was covered in puke as well, and matted in her hair. I took her up to the bath while Rob stripped the crib. She was SO mad at us. I could hardly bathe her, as she violently thrashed around in the tub. I know she thought "What in the heck are they doing to me?!" I got her as clean as possible and brought her back downstairs. We threw everything into the laundry. It was PUTRID. We opened windows, febreezed everything, and got E a cup of water to drink. She was so upset, so I had Rob take her on the screen porch and rock her a bit. This got her calmed back down, and by the time I had her room ready to go back to sleep, she was ready to play. Go figure.

I layed her back in her crib. It still smelled so bad in there and I felt horrible for her as she fussed. I started singing to her and rubbing her head and I'll never forget she just stared and stared in my eyes getting calmed down. It felt good to be able to make her feel better. She slept the rest of the night with no more puking. Thank the Lord! Rob and I definitely felt like "real parents" now that we had dealt with puke.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Yes, throw up officially welcomes you to the parent club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg the same thing happened here, except she threw up 3 times and was wicked upset and fully awake. I feel so terrible that we weren't there for her! And that smell....ughhhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete