Sunday, September 18, 2011

My love for a swaddle... part 2...

A couple months ago, I posted about how much I loved swaddling Emmeline and how much she loved (after initial fussing) being swaddled. I wrote about how I was so sad that she was growing up and soon would be making a transition out of the swaddle.

When Emmy was about 3 months old, I woke up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and checked the monitor to see how baby girl was doing and... SCREAM. "Oh no, Rob, she's put the blanket up over her face!" When I saw the monitor, poor Emmy had tried to bust out of her swaddle, but instead of getting her arms all the way out, she had only pulled her swaddle blanket up over her face -- a mother's worst nightmare. Before I could even get the words out of my mouth, Rob had literally flown from the bed and was the down the stairs to her nursery. Thankfully he yelled back up to me that she was fine. I went down and reswadddled her REALLY tight and since it was already 5:30 in the morning, just stayed awake. (I was a little keyed up.)

I knew that our swaddling days were coming to an end, but I didn't know what to do about her sleep situation. I had ordered her a woombie since she did love to bust out of the swaddle and figured she couldn't get out of the woombie, since it is literally something you zip them up in. As Rob and I zipped her up in it the next night, she looked at us like we were crazy. She didn't like it at first because she could move her arms and hands around in there, but couldn't get them to her mouth where she wanted them to be. We used the woombie for about a week or so until she figured out how to get her hands to her mouth and chew on the fabric.
 Let me OUTTA this thing!
My friend/former high school Biology teacher was kind enough to send me her daughter's "miracle blanket". I was hoping maybe this would be tough for Emmeline to break out of and we could stretch out our swaddling days. I googled a video on how to use the miracle blanket and gave it a try. SUCCESS. Emmeline is almost 5 months old and has yet to get out of the miracle blanket. (She can occasionally kick a leg out of the foot pouch, but she can't get her arms up.)

Sweet little pea in a pod...
 Hey, this is pretty cozy!
In the past week, Emmeline has found her thumb. She doesn't really suck on it, so much as lick on it and chew on it. I feel that she'll be in a sleep sack soon, but as long as she stays in the miracle blanket, I'm not going to change things up yet. Yay for great sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment