Friday, November 19, 2010
Telling your parents you're pregnant...
I just realized I never officially did the post about telling our parents we were pregnant. It was quite an eventful weekend. It was the last weekend in August... Rob's birthday, my dad's birthday, and my parents anniversary. Rob's parents came up to High Point on Saturday night to take the 2 of us out to dinner to celebrate his birthday. After much anxiety and running around like crazy people, we finally agreed on a plan. I had given Rob two onesies for his birthday that said "I love my dad" on them. After visiting with his parents at our home for a few minutes, I said "Why don't you go get the shirts I got you for your birthday to show your parents". I thought I was going to throw up. I was so nervous. So back in walks Rob with the onesies draped over his shoulders and he asked which one they liked better. They were stunned for about a minute and then his mom was like "Are you trying to tell us something?" There were tears of joy and shrieks and lots of jumping up and down. I am sure the hardest part for them was when we let them know they couldn't tell a soul because it was so early and we hadn't told anyone either. We had a great night at dinner celebrating. Telling my parents was not as easy and exciting.. it was very comical, which goes well with my family. It was my Dad's birthday and my parents were keeping their grandson Maison who was 6 months old at the time, for 2 nights by themselves. We figured that we would drive to RM, take my Dad out for a birthday lunch and I'd give him the gift to let them know they would be grandparents again and it would all be great. WRONG. We get to RM and it looks like Baghdad. There are toys everywhere, blankets, bottles, the baby won't sleep, it's crying, it won't eat. My parents are bleary-eyed and exhausted. Immediately my stomach dropped. I could NOT tell these people that we, too, were getting ready for a baby. We hung out for several hours, took shifts eating our fried chicken lunch, and I kept looking at Rob like "Do we really have to do this?" I thought I was going to puke. Finally it got to the point where it was now or never. My Dad passed out in his chair and I gave him his birthday present. It was a frame that said "Grandkids" at the bottom and on one said a picture of Maison, the other, a note that read "Picture to be added April 2011" He looked at it, looked at me grinning, and just LAUGHED. He laughed and laughed. Looked at the picture some more LAUGHED. And it wasn't a normal laugh. It was a "Oh my God, yall are crazy, I can't believe this" laugh. We awkwardly laughed with him. Eventually he hugged me and said he was excited and more importantly, couldn't wait for me to tell my mother. My mom was outside walking the baby (who wouldnt eat or sleep) so my Dad went outside, took over for her, and I brought my mom inside "Wanna see what I got dad for his birthday?" Sure, she said. I said "Are you ready?" ..."Um, yes?" Are you sure? You sitting down? I showed her and she was a little shocked, but more excited and happy than anything, so that made me feel better that she didn't absolutely flip out. I don't think the parents really mentioned the baby to me for a couple weeks until it all soaked in. Of course they are VERY EXCITED. We just picked probably the worst day possible to tell them. Oh well, it will always be very memorable and I wouldn't change it for the world. YAY for Grandbabies!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment