Monday, May 9, 2011

Your Godparents

Dear Emmeline,


This is a very special letter to you about two incredibly special people who I can't wait for you to know and love as much as they love you. Mommy knew when I got pregnant with you that I wanted you to have godparents. The only people that I wanted to do this was our best friends Stephen and Courtney Willis. Your Dad and I wanted two people who were loving, nurturing, fun, and most importantly could help us raise you to love God as much as He loves you!

I never knew 5 or so years ago when I first met Stephen and Courtney in a Buffalo Wild Wings that they would become such close friends. Your Dad has known them for a lot longer than me, but my relationship with them isn't any less close. We have had some really fun times together that I am sure you will hear about as you grow up. I can bet you will want us to tell you the story of the time Momma yelled at the Carolina fans or maybe that would just embarass you?


I was nervous to ask them to do this huge job for you. I didn't want to put pressure on them and I know Baptists typically don't "have" godparents. I had planned a much more special way to ask them to do this honor, but after feeling like I was about to die in the hospital, I had to make sure to ask Courtney right then! I barely remember it, but she said yes. :)


From Courtney, I want you to gain her wisdom, knowledge and love for the Lord. I want you to know her kindness and caring nature towards others. She is such a beautiful, strong, smart woman. People love Courtney because of all these attributes. I want her to be someone you can go to when you are mad at me or when you need advice from someone other than your mom. She is a trustworthy person and I know would keep your secrets (unless of course there was something that Mommy just had to know about!) Most of all, I want you to know that Courtney loves you almost as much as your Dad and I and would do anything for you.


Stephen is one funny guy! I hope he can help you remember that laughter is always the best medicine and that you should not dwell on what others think about you, that you should always be yourself. Behind his humor is also a very patient, caring Dad to his son Berkley. Seeing him with Berkley lets me know that he will also be nurturing to you whenever you need it. Maybe he'll even help you learn to kick a soccer ball!


My sweet, sweet girl...Please know how lucky you are and how loved you always will be. No matter if its hugs from Mommy, kisses from Daddy, a joke from Stephen to make you laugh or Courtney's ears to listen to you, we are ALL here for you. You are so so loved.


Courtney, looking beautiful, after being awake for a LONG time waiting for you!
You and Stephen on your first night home.

No comments:

Post a Comment