Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Flipping Over... and flipping OUT!

Just in the last couple weeks, Emmeline has finally started rolling from her back to her belly. She had been doing it occasionally, but nothing consistent, as she hated being on her tummy for a long time, so she had no reason to want to roll that way. Once she realized that it would help her move around the room and get toys, she was all over it!

I had noticed lately that she would sometimes try to roll in her crib. It wasn't a huge effort, she would just turn onto her side and reach out and grab her crib bumper or play around, until yesterday. I put her down for her afternoon nap and heard her playing nicely. Of course, I wanted her to go to sleep, but if she's going to lay in there and talk and play, that's okay for a while too! The talking then turned to whining and fussing, which then turned into crying. I didn't have the monitor downstairs with me, but I could hear her through the wall. I let her cry for a few minutes, as this isn't unusual for her, but then she started yelling and making God-awful noises and almost like she was crying for help. Ok, I thought, I have to go in there and check on her....

MOM FAIL! Poor Emmeline had flipped over onto her belly, but was also turned sideways so she was stuck, face down, screaming, gasping for air. I quickly picked her up, her face was soaking wet with tears, sweat, and snot. She was bright red and her hair was soaking wet and matted to her head. I felt so awful. I knew it mainly just scared her, but still. I let her cry for a few minutes before I even looked to see what was wrong. I sat down in the chair with her and held her and dried her up and sang to her for a while. She even buried her head into my chest... which she never does. Homegirl is just not a cuddler. I felt good that I was able to comfort her. I layed her back down in the crib and she finally fell asleep for a whopping 45 minutes that was left of naptime.

So, this morning I woke up around 6:40. I don't know if I just woke up or if I heard something on the monitor that woke me up. Who knows. I clicked the monitor on, and there she was. Quiet as a mouse. She had flipped on to her belly and was pushed up onto her arms staring into the monitor camera with those creepy raccoon eyes. Oh my word. She'd done it again... but she wasn't upset. I watched her for 20 minutes as she tried to lay on her belly and sleep. She didn't make any noise until 7 when I went in and got her. How long had she been awake?! She is so tricky and I really shouldn't complain. She will wake anytime between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m., but she has started staying quiet. Um, thanks baby girl? The only bad thing about it is, by 8/830, she is mad as a hornet and ready for her nap. Most people would probably say their children are happiest in the morning, not my child as of late. Her happiest time is the afternoon and evening, oddly enough.

I put her down for a nap about 9 this mornig and then a few minutes later, SCREAMS of AGONY. I had the monitor with me so I clicked it on, and of course, there she was, tried to flip to her belly, but had gotten an arm caught up under her and was all contorted. Poor thing. I went and helped her out and prayed that she'd fall asleep on her back and quit this flipping nonsense! It's 9:45 and she's still asleep.. praying it stays that way until at least 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment