Monday, January 10, 2011

Fixing our "Nest"

I have been in a funk the last couple weeks and I haven't really realized HOW bad of a funk it was until it finally started to go away. Christmas is a busy time and for all the fun it is, it can also cause some stress that you may not even realize until its all over. I am thankful for the New Year and the start of 2011-- which will no doubt be the most amazing, terrifying, joyful time in the Aycock household.

One thing that has had me in a funk is the lack of preparation for baby Aycock. Sure, we've been talking about her and daydreaming and I've looked at baby things on the Internet for hours at a time, but nothing concrete had happened and this made the control freak in me FREAK OUT. I needed her to have a room, a place for all the stuff she was accumulating, some signs that this was all happening and coming together.

Finally this weekend, the nesting instincts kicked in. It's WONDERFUL. I had lots of energy and actually enjoyed cleaning and straightening our home. I took down Christmas decorations and stored them away in new storage containers. I vaccuumed, I scrubbed the kitchen, the bathrooms, threw out piles of accumulated trash and junk. It felt GREAT.

My mom is coming up on Thursday with 2 of my dad's "men" (construction workers) to haul all of the office furniture and boxes out of the office and down to our basement (After they clean and organize the basement too... how lucky are we??) I'm really not as pitiful as I sound, but its a lot easier for me to keep a house clean and organized, but not to be the one who actually does the organizing. Anyway, I will be thrilled to come home from work on Thursday and see an empty room that will soon be Emmeline's nursery.

To make things even more exciting, I am meeting my Mom in Durham next Monday to pick out her crib and dresser and any other necessary nursery items that we may see. Rob and I are so blessed to have been gifted with nursery furniture from my parents for Christmas.

So all in all, the anxiety of needing to see progress on our home is going away. My best friend Courtney is helping me with registry things, showers are getting scheduled, etc etc. It'll be April before we know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment