What a daunting task this is. I think its something that really has me stressed out this week. Because Rob and I waited to tell people that baby Aycock is a girl, we just put off registering. I am now consumed with thoughts of car seats and strollers, high chairs and bottles. What do we need? What do we not really need? I will admit that I know little to nothing about babies and how to raise a child and what to do. I'm pretty clueless. I told a friend that I can dress baby Emmeline, but that's about it. I also received some pretty muslin swaddling blankets for Christmas, but have no clue how to wrap that girl up in a burrito. I need the swaddle me designs brand with the directions on the tag :)
Anyway, back to registering. I already started one on www.landofnod.com (love this site) but its more of just cute stuff, not really my essentials yet. I think we have decided on the BOB stroller in black, but for a car seat I have no clue. I am pretty sure it adapts with the GRACO snugrides, so we'll probably go with that, but then there is a Snugride 30, 32, 35, all sorts of things. I don't even know how I'll be able to lift it.
We plan on registering at Babies R Us, Target, Land of Nod, and maybe a specialty store. I asked Rob last night if it would be okay to just do some major things IN the store at Babies R Us and then I'd add things online as needed. The idea of walking around that place for too long at one time sends me into a panic. (Even though I know they have EVERYTHING and that we will make many trips there)
Where did you register? What did you love that you received? What never came out of the package? Help!
1. we will have a swaddle seminar before Emmeline arrives. You will be a pro.
ReplyDelete2. Snugride 30...she'll be in a Britax (big seat) long before she reaches 30 lbs.
3. Your first trip to BRU will be overwhelming- just worry about the "big" stuff because you'll figure out the little stuff along the way.
4. I'll make you a list on the drive to WV today.
5. I love you.
I LOVE YOU CMJW!!! You're the bomb.
ReplyDeleteRegistering is so overwhelming that I have done most of mine online. I like to read the customer reviews because I have no idea about these things. I stalked alot of peoples registries too and definitely got a feel of what you need. what is your email and I will send you a list that someone sent me? I have been told by numerous people that a video monitor is key. We got one for christmas! Im registered for the bob as well and all the stuff to go with it plus an umbrella stroller. I did graco snugride too and alot of places make cute covers for them.
ReplyDeletelook at registries and send me your email!
I have a list that a good friend gave me and Lindsay and i based our registeries off of. It focuses on the practical, needed items, not the other stuff. I know a lot of people like the video monitors, but if it wasn't for the angelcare monitor, IJJ would still be sleeping with us! Maybe both? (if you can swing it!)
ReplyDeleteGraco Snugride 35 is great. We love it.
Get a sound machine or music player (we use an Ipod base for music)
Get an Itzbeen (or an app for that)
Get a Bjorn or ERgo carrier, very needed in the early weeks. Slings didn't really work for us as baby liked to be upright.
Other than that, get lots and lots of diapers and wipes for that first month!
Thank you all for "following" and all your input. It is SO helpful.
ReplyDeleteTurner - whatever you get, you'll be fine. AND please remember that you have to get whatever works for you, Emmeline & Rob. As you will discover, she'll be born with definite likes and dislikes. A lot of it is experimentation. I had a Graco Snugride and loved/hated it. You'll be really tired of lugging that thing around, but it doesn't last long in the big scheme of things. Find a stroller that's lightweight and easy to maneuver, and one that you have use when she's 2 years old as well as 2 months. Diapers, wipes - and again, don't stress about which ones. I have used for both my girls the Pampers Swaddlers/Cruisers and haven't had any problems. But I also like the Huggies Wipes better. Lots of my friends like the Bjorn carriers, but I never did like it, and neither did James. Maybe we're too old, but it hurt our backs. Music in the nursery is key - we have (Nano) ipod bases in both girls rooms and they LOVE them. Lauren can work her iPOD herself now.
ReplyDeleteYou'll be fine. Remember this newborn stage only lasts a short time, so don't stress about it - just ENJOY it! :)
Turner,
ReplyDeleteHere are my thoughts on baby needs (welcome from my procrastination from starting work on a Friday night):
Remember you don't need everything at once. If you forget something and realize later that you want/need it, then you can deal with that then.
I love miracle blanket swaddling blankets. Even better than the ones with instructions.
Ultimate crib sheets x3 -- these are sort of a sheet topper that make changing crib sheets in the middle of the night much easier. I still use mine when my 4 year old is sick. Love these things. I would get 3 so that once can be dirty, one in the bed, and one back up.
I love our portable swing. It lived in my bathroom, and was easy enough to carry to different parts of the house at different points.
With Collin, I loved our bumbo seat. I could have done without the tray attachment since it never really fit on there. We used to take this seat out to dinner with us and he was fascinated to be able to sit up and look around long before he could actually sit.
A stroller frame. You can pop the infant seat into it, and it is much lighter and smaller than a regular stroller. I used this to get through until I knew more what I wanted in a stroller. I later discovered that I really used my jogging stroller the most because I walked A LOT the first time around.
Baby Bjorn
If you are planning on nursing, I have a whole separate list -- but I won't pass along all those tidbits unless you want them.
Finally, remember God chose you to be Emmeline's mommy. She won't know another mommy and won't know that you don't know what you are doing. She will think you are perfect because you are her mommy -- and you are!